Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake! Or...Ice Cream!

I have met so many fabulous couples this season so far and I'm honestly thrilled they have chosen me to help with their special day. One thing that I always love about my job is hearing the different ideas and shape a wedding can take based on each couples likes and dislikes.


With that being said, I want to touch on some alternatives to CAKE at the cake cutting ceremony at the reception (if you even choose to incorporate this custom). Traditionally, after dinner the bride and groom cut their wedding cake and its a big production - family and friends gather around to take pictures and anxiously await to see if the happy couple smoosh cake in each others faces. Well believe it or not, not everyone LIKES cake - I do, but I'm just saying some people don't :) So I've had couples ask me if they can do something else instead. My response: "Of course you can, its YOUR wedding! What do YOU like?" One of my couples this June is doing a Ben & Jerry's ice cream bar with one small ice cream cake for them to cut so they can at least keep a part of the tradition. Another couple is doing pies!

When you stop and think about it, the dessert ideas are really endless: besides the recently popular cupcake tier and candy buffet, how about a yogurt buffet or a fruit bar (I'm thinking cut fruit with different things to dip them in like chocolate and yogurt - YUM!). Love fudge? How about different types of homemade fudge on a beautiful display? Why not? You can always "cut" something if you still wanted to keep that tradition, but don't feel like you HAVE to have a cake just because it seems to be the norm. Be unique and most importantly, make sure your wedding reflects you as a couple!

Happy planning!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment