Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Impressive Letter

Today I received a letter that impressed me. It was from a high school freshman in Milford, CT looking for donations for the People to People Student Ambassador Program to Europe this summer. When I first started reading it I was a bit skeptical. I didn't know who this girl was or why she was contacting me. I proceeded with reading the letter, the enclosed document about the program, and finally her resume, which is what truly impressed me. She is involved in many volunteer programs, including volunteering at a local nursing home and at the Beardsley Zoo working with children. She has won many awards for various activities and events and her resume really made me believe that she wants to do good in this crazy world.

I called the phone number at the bottom of the letter and spoke to the student's mother. I told her that although I won't be able to afford a large monetary donation, I would like to donate a gift basket for the basket raffle they are having at the fundraising event. She was extremely appreciative of this donation and offered to pick up the basket next week.

I guess my point in all of this is that I was impressed that this girl was so willing to do all of this work to raise the money needed for her to participate in this program, which is sure to help her "make a difference in the world" and "be the best Student Ambassador that I can be". So while most teenagers worried about the next toy that they can buy, video games, designer clothes, or going out and partying with their friends, here is this girl, a FRESHMAN IN HIGH SCHOOL, willing to work hard to raise money to help her participate in a program that will allow her to be a better person and lend a hand others. I think we could all learn something from her - teenagers and adults alike.

If you would like to make a donation to this girl, monetary or otherwise, please email me at carisa@crsocials.com and I will forward you the information.

Thanks for reading!
~Carisa

No comments:

Post a Comment