Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Cost Misconception (and Why a Coordinator is Worth it)

There is a HUGE misconception about the costs associated with a wedding planner/coordinator, thank you to the the movie, The Wedding Planner, where J. Lo caterers to a million dollar client, and t.v. shows like David Tutera's My Fair Wedding. Well guess what...my clients aren't millionaires and this isn't New York City. I'm in Hamden, CT. I do not charge tens of thousands of dollars (or, gasp...MORE!) for my services and I can actually SAVE (yes, SAVE!) you money. I hear all the time that "I cannot afford a wedding coordinator" but guess what - you can't afford NOT to have one. All of the time and money and energy you put into planning the wedding of your dreams, don't you want to make sure it all goes according to plan? Are you REALLY going to go to the church and/or venue that morning to set up? Wouldn't you rather be getting pampered with your girls on the most special day of your life? And do you REALLY want to be worried about if your florist and DJ have arrived at the venue yet? Do you want to be answering phone calls for vendors who might be lost? The answer is NO. And let's face it, that "wedding coordinator" that your venue promised you is NOT going to do all of that for you. Even if they claim to, they work for the VENUE and not YOU. They are going to do things the way the venue wants them to, which may not necessarily be the way YOU want them.

Unfortunately, I hear all too often after the fact things like "I should have hired a coordinator. My mom got stuck doing all the decorating!" or "The cake was a disaster and nothing at all like I wanted it!" or "My photographer left before the parent dances." Things like this happen, unfortunately, and having a professional there on your side can save or eliminate them from happening.

Do yourself a favor and at least do your homework. Don't just assume that a coordinator is not in your budget. Contact a few coordinators, see what they offer and what their price range is. Many will offer a free consultation but make sure that you are not just looking at the bottom line (the cost) but what is included in that cost. Compare apples to apples. Some will charge you by the hour, some offer various packages, and some take a percentage of your budget. I always customize services so the bride is never stuck paying for things she doesn't need and I try to accommodate any budget. This is why a consultation is  necessary (and I never EVER charge for this time).

Happy planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment