Thursday, July 11, 2013

Do I Really Have a 2 Year Old?!?!

I find it absolutely mind-boggling that I now am the mother of a 2 year old (not to mention with another newborn on the way!). These last 2 years have been fun, crazy, incredible and they FLEW BY. Since I went all out with Kyle's first birthday party, complete with a pony and a hailstorm, I told myself that I wouldn't go as big this year. Who was I kidding? I'm an event planner for Pete's sake! I did tone it down a little, but I'll say this: next year its pizza and cake at Chuck E Cheese (or something like that). Until the next first birthday for the new baby anyway ;)

So this year we went with a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme. One thing I wanted to splurge on was the cake since I saw so many great ideas on Pinterest. Of cours, I'm not a baker, so I left it to the pros. This AMAZING (and delicious) cake was made by Sweet Confections by Amanda in Wallingford. Seriously, call her for your next event. She is just as sweet as her creations and she does amazing work. Support small businesses, people!!



One thing that I did try to make are these Oreo Mickey cookies from Pinterest. Note: they are a bit harder to make than they seem.

This was before the guests arrived or the food was set up, so its a little bare, but this was my "Hot Diggity Dog Hotdog Bar". I hand-painted the sign and bought the hotdog holders from Target. Once the food was served, I put bowls of chopped onions, baked beans, ketchup, mustard and relish on the table with the hotdog buns and tray of grilled hotdogs and guests served themselves. The burgers and sides were on another table. I wanted to keep this one separate and cohesive to the theme.


These were my centerpieces and they were super easy to make! I found the character printables online here and cut them out. Then I glued them to foam board for a more sturdy backing and a popsicle stick to stand them up in the pots. I filled the pots with some shredded paper and there you go! By the way, the pots were $1 at Target so these were totally affordable decorations.

And here's our gift table with another hand-painted sign by yours truly. I put a bucket of Mickey Mouse ears on the table so that when the kids walked in they could take a pair and wear them during the party.



I had asked a local ice cream man to come by the party. Here is the birthday boy with his daddy choosing his treat. After we had to pry him out of the pool, of course.


Adults and kids gathered around for a cool treat. It was SO HOT that day!


After the ice cream treat came another surprise for Kyle. Mickey and Minnie crashed the party!

I thought Kyle would love it, but as you can see from the last picture he screamed his head off whenever they were close by. Guess we don't have to take a trip to Disney any time soon!


All in all, it was a great day! Can't wait to have 2 crazy boys to plan parties for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment