Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Who Do I Refer?

A vendor emailed me this week saying, "I seem to recall you don’t have room for referrals to us because of your relationship with X, is that right?" This is absolutely not right at all, so let me clarify the way I work:

When I initially meet with a client, I get an idea for a lot of things - their style and budget being the most important factors. Based on these, I can then refer them to the proper vendors. I know photographers who are just starting out and are willing to work with less of a budget, but then I know photographers who have been in the industry for years and have made a name for themselves, therefore, they are more expensive. I know DJs who are great entertainers and would be fantastic for an event other than a wedding, and then I know "wedding DJs" or DJs who know the flow and how to emcee a wedding. I can refer a client to a venue that can accommodate up to 50 guests or one that can hold 400 guests. Based on the clients' needs, I know who to refer them to. And even then, it's not just one name that I refer. It's usually at least 3. I think that would make me look pretty bad if I didn't give my clients options.

The vendors that I refer are based on their product and/or service and the way they treat my clients. I'm always meeting new vendors and I welcome this - its just that much more that I can offer a client. If I don't have a great experience with that vendor then I don't refer them. If everything is great and I feel their service met or exceeded the clients expectations, why wouldn't I refer them to other clients? And of course there has to be a mutual respect for each others work as well. If you don't respect what I do and appreciate the fact that we are all there for the same purpose - to make the event flawless for the client - then you won't be getting a referral from me. For instance, there was a venue that I worked at not long ago and the people that work there were so concerned about "one upping" me instead of working together for the benefit of the client, that it caused confusion the day of the event. They will never get a referral from me.

And there you have it...there's no complexity behind my methods. Just a good product or service is all it takes to get a referral from me.

Happy planning!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment