Saturday, September 15, 2012

Divorce on My Mind

It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. - Friedrich Nietzsch 

I usually don't post anything negative, but something has been bothering me. I know so many people who are getting divorced lately and, working in the wedding industry, this really makes me sad. What happened to the days when you worked it out and stayed together? My parents will be married for 33 years this October and I'm sure they had their ups and downs, especially since they have been together since 8th grade, but 33 years later, here they are with 3 kids and a grandson to be thankful for. My paternal grandparents were married for over 50 years before my grandfather passed, and my maternal grandparents have been married for over 50 years as well.

Honestly, I think it's celebrities like Brittany Spears and Kim Kardashian with their record-breaking short marriages that make a mockery out of it. Because of these glamorized weddings, people just don't seem to take marriage as seriously as they used to. And don't get me started on those that say same-sex couples ruin the sanctity of marriage. That is just bull. But that's another post for another time...

Maybe it's my family's background (I think I'm in the minority that practically no one in my family is divorced), but I truly think that you if say your "I do's, it is forever. Some people just aren't the marriage type, and that's fine. Just stay single. Too many people go into a marriage with divorce as a Plan B.

I can honestly say that I love the couples that I have the pleasure of working with every year and each wedding makes me reminisce about my own. No marriage is perfect, including my own, but if you're with the right person, you work through everything together. And stay together.

I'm sorry to go on this little rant and I truly hope I don't offend anybody, but it just seems like I'm surrounded my divorce lately, all for different reasons I'm sure, and it just gets to me because of what I do for a living.



Don't marry the person you think you can live with; marry only the individual you think you can't live without. - James C. Dobson

No comments:

Post a Comment